Saturday 30 July 2011

How to Make a Raspberry Buckle

I was visiting some family this week and my aunt and I went to pick some raspberries.  I ended up with 2 pints to take home with me.  This weekend she's having a fundraiser for Huntington's Disease and it's a pot luck so I thought it would be great if I could find something to make with the raspberries we picked.  In my searching I found a recipe for a raspberry buckle (thanks Martha Stewart!).  I'd never even heard of a buckle before so I thought I'd give it a try!

Ingredients: 
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 3/4 cups raspberries
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
  • Whipped cream, (optional)
 Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 2-quart oval or square baking dish. 

2.  In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.



3.  Beat in one egg at a time.

4.  In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.  With your mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture until incorporated.



5.  Spread batter in baking dish. Sprinkle raspberries on top.


6.  Bake until a toothpick comes out clean and top is golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes.



7.  Let it cool for 20 minutes, and dust with icing sugar.  Scoop out with buck with a large spoon and serve with whipped cream! 

You can substitute raspberries for blueberries, and I would image any other type of berry if you'd like.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know after the weekend!